Monday, July 13, 2009

tynynyny volume two sixties spage age bachelor pad pop


This is 60s pop, or as it is often described "spage age bachelor pad music". This came out around 95-96 done by the same guys that did Smylonylon (also now part of In Flagranti) and you can see a similar style in the early Smylonylon tape posted on the blog here. Around that time there was a big upswing in interest in 60s hipster parties, especially in NY and Hollywood, which also coincided with the release of the early Vince Vaughn movie Swingers. I moved to NY in 1996 and just caught the tale of this party scene where I met some of my best friends. Tynynyny was one of the parties and another was the 999999's which used to go on at Flamingo East in which Penelope Tuesdae, my very favorite friend Lasia, and DJ Fancy were involved (Dj Fancy later appeared as the genius behind fantastic girl group Fannypack). I also met Chris McClary there who since moved to Cali and is behind the great website See Spot Ride featuring dogs riding in cars.  There is even mention of this party in the mid 90s in the New York Times. This was originally unhip spage age according to this New York Times article and the music was often put together to demonstrate the technical capacities of new equipment that had just been released.

First track on side A is the intro to the german version of Sesame Street called Der, Die, Das, and I believe it originally came out on this album called "Sesamstraße - Der, Die, Das - Und Andere Lustige Lieder Und Lernspiele", in case anyone wants to send it to me.

But the most amazing 2 tracks appear in the middle of side A and I haven't been able to Shazam the names of the first one so any help would be appreciated. I've ripped them to listen to as individual tracks below. The second one is very well known Popcorn track by Hot Butter.

The first track on side B is the great Sunshower track linked below by the same band that did Cherchez Le Femme.I want to thank the very lovely fashion god Mel Ottenberg for sending me these and other cassettes. I will be featuring a rave cassette he sent me later in the week.


download Side A 

download Side B


Side A track rip 1 (name?)

Side A track rip 2 (Popcorn by Hot Butter) Listen to 79 (yes 79) versions of the same song on WFMU here, including version by Prodigy, Kraftwerk and Aphex Twin. I like the Klaus Wunderlich version best.

from Side B - Dr. Buzzard's Original Savannah Band - Sunshower

10 comments:

wo said...

Hi!

Track 2 is called Popcorn, got its own wikipedia page even: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Popcorn_%28instrumental%29

Thanks for the tapes!

dalston shopper said...

Thanks so much, Wo!

Anonymous said...

Good stuff... love returning to this flavor again and again... I'll have to share some of my tracks from this era next time I see you...

Unknown said...

Interesting as always - just about to download.

I am guessing this was at about the same time as a similar London scene with the likes of the Karminsky Experience, Count Indigo/Felchley B Hawkes and Martin Green DJing. Club Indigo at Madame JoJos was always fun - and as I recall the music was a mixture of the US Esquivel/Denny stuff and the UK Studio 2 Alan Hawkshaw etc studio guys.

They put out some great (and now out-of-print) compilations that I'm sure you know of - if not, drop me a line.

Tom
www.grlla.com

Gabriel Stargardter said...

Der Die Das was recently played at the Bar 25 6th Birthday Party (the one with all the confetti) here in Berlin. Lots of Germans were singin along. Must be some kind of anthem I guess...

http://anglocolombine.blogspot.com/

Boward said...

wonderful tape!
track after der die das is Lumpazivagabundus by Roland Kovac..

holycownyc said...

I was a tynyny regular It went on at Mason Reese's Nowbar. Whatever happened to host, Nahila? There was also Jetset and In Hi-Fi at Bar d'O.
I was the other main DJ for the 999999s. Fantastic era!
Steve Spain

dalston shopper said...

Hey Holycownyc awesome to hear old news. I never made it to the 9999999s but what happened to Dj Fancy? Wasn't he also involved. I think I went to some of his parties at a downstairs bar in Soho on Broadway.

holycownyc said...

Fancy was the creator and promoter of the 9999999s. We were the primary DJs. Penelope Tuesdae (Jill Janus - RIP) was the other key person. We also did a Swing party at Lansky Lounge (behind Ratner's deli). There was a party called Mothra hosted by Audrey Bernstein. It was downstairs at a Chinese restaurant on ....Houston, I believe. Fancy and I were regulars there - we both guest DJ'd there a couple of times.
Fancy had a record out under the name Disque 9. After that album came out we started working together, making tracks. My "studio" was the backroom of my record store, Holy Cow in Brooklyn. My vinyl room was our sampling library. We cut a bunch of zany things on his MPC 1000. None of it came out. After our association, he was DJ'ing around town and he created Fannypack. After that we only occasionally ran into each other. Last time I saw him was in 2006; it was a chance meeting in Miami. No one I know has heard from him in recent years. He kind of fell off the map. OH,during or shortly thereafter the 999999s, he and Moby had a group called "America's #1 Fun All-American Cover Band" - they did very really loose versions of 80s hits, mostly. I was in the band for one gig - a "prom" held after hours in the dining room of Ratner's Deli. :P

dalston shopper said...

oooo Holycownyc awesome walk down memory lane. I used to go to Penelope's parties also at Flamingo East. her and Andy and Lasia, if you know them. I miss those days. Are you connected to Holy Cow records in Seattle on Instagram?